FLINT, Michigan — The Ruth Mott Foundation Board of Trustees awarded more than $2 million for more than 20 projects and programs that serve north Flint residents — including $230,000 in renewed support for Berston Field House.
In 2016 the Ruth Mott Foundation launched its north Flint strategy with the main focus being areas of youth, safety, economic opportunity and neighborhoods. Berston Field House received one of its first grants. Since then, the Field House has continued to thrive as a trusted community center with expanded year-round programming for residents of all ages.
“Berston Field House is much more than a neighborhood center – it’s a landmark institution that residents of north Flint and beyond have enjoyed for decades,” Ruth Mott Foundation President Raquel Thueme said. “We are proud to support Berston and all of the recently awarded projects and programs, and we look forward to working with each of these organizations to enhance the quality of life in north Flint.”
Other grants awarded during the first grant cycle of 2019 include:
• Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission, North Flint Public Safety Strategy 2019,($410,168);
• United Way of Genesee County, Friends of Berston General Operating Support, ($230,000);
• Flint Police Foundation,North End Community Crime Strategy ($228,000);
• Sylvester Broome Empowerment Village, General Operating Support 2019, ($150,000);
• Specialized Employment Services aka Flint STRIVE, Northside Impact Strategic Plan 2019, ($140,000);
• New Community Baptist Church, Working Actively Intentionally Together - The Phoenix Program, ($110,000);
• St. Luke N.E.W. Life Center, Inc., North Flint Women's Employment Preparation,($105,000);
• Sylvester Broome Empowerment Village, North Flint Neighborhood Action Council 2019, ($91,600);
• Community Foundation of Greater Flint, Neighborhood Small Grants Program 2019, ($90,000);
• Flint Cultural Center Corp., Sloan Museum of Discovery - North Flint Collaboration, ($89,164);
• Fair Food Network, Innovating Technology and Expanding Geographies for Double Up Healthy Food Incentives, ($80,000);
• Faith Foundation Resources, Helping Young People with Employment Program 2019, ($65,000);
• Motherly Intercession,RACS and In-Touch Ready To Work,($40,000);
• Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, Flintside: On the Ground, ($37,260);
• Clingman Foundation, Academic Improvement College Readiness Program 2019, ($32,800);
• Active Boys in Christ, ABC Youth Program 2019, ($27,835);
• Kentakee Athletic and Social Clubs, Berston Bicycle Club Project 2019, ($24,300);
• United Way of Genesee County, Jackson Park Youth League - RBI 2019, ($22,000);
• Bethel United Methodist Church, Bethel CDF Freedom School 2019, ($20,000);
• Neighborhood Engagement Hub, The Porch Project, ($14,025).