Funding available to help Flint residents replace water heaters

Help is available for Flint and Genesee County residents to replace water heaters and pay utility bills. 

More than $2.2 million has been awarded to the Genesee County Community Action Resource Department to help eligible families — significantly more funding than the area has previously been awarded. GCCARD received new funding from Funding comes from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families as well as continued support from the Michigan Energy Assistance Program. 

The bulk of the funding — $2 million — is reserved for replacing water heaters in the city of Flint. An additional $230,000 is available to eligible Genesee County residents to help pay Consumers Energy bills. 

“This total amount is significantly greater than previous years. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families funds are new and Michigan Energy Assistance Program funds have increased from previous years,” said Ashnee Young, assistant director of Neighborhood Services Center for GCCARD.

Eligibility is based on household income by family size and area of residence. To find out if you qualify, contact GCCARD at (810) 768-4675. 

Assistance will be available as long as there are remaining funds.

Read more articles by Ashley Schafer.