FLINT, Michigan -- Flintside and its contributors won six Michigan Press Association Better Newspaper contest awards, the MPA announced on March 25
. The awards recognized work published between August 1 of 2019 and July 31 of 2020.
Flintside’s website won third place out of 16 entries in the ‘Best Website’ category. That category includes publications of all sizes. Flintside won first place in the ‘Best Website’ category last year.
In the weekly class D category, Flintside won the following awards:
- Sports Feature: Patrick Hayes, first place, “Flint native imparting global basketball knowledge to Mott players”
- Feature Story: Marjory Raymer, second place, “The ruralization of Flint's Civic Park neighborhood”
- Business/Agriculture News: Marjory Raymer, second place, “New hotel in downtown Flint symbolizes city's comeback”
- Best Editorial: Alexandria Brown, third place, “Say its name”
- Spot News Story: Santiago Ochoa, honorable mention, “Sewing for Safety: Flint’s Shay Oliver and friends craft homemade face masks for health workers”
Flintside won nine Michigan Press Association awards in 2019 in the publication’s first year as an MPA member.